Thursday, January 27, 2011

ENTREMET


The January 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Astheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremet dessert.
 
I was very excited about this month's challenge as I've been meaning to try a decor biscuit joconde (it is such a cool technique), but have not gotten around it until now.  It took me a few tries to get the joconde right (my first attempt resulted in a pattern too bright for my taste and the second attempt stuck miserably to my silpat).  The third time worked like a charm and I ended up with a beautiful pattern.  I only had a little bit of the decor paste left for the third attempt and I wanted to do 2 different colors on my joconde.  So, I decided to brush the red color on the silpat directly and the yellow color mixed with the paste.  It worked wonderfully and I may not bother with the decor paste if I want an abstract design in the future.  Just brush on the colors on the silpat, spread the joconde on top and proceed from there!  


I had a hard time deciding on the flavors in the entremet as there are such an endless amount of flavor combinations to try!  I ended up with the following layers:  biscuit joconde, mango mousse, biscuit joconde, strawberry gelee, mango mousse, white chocolate vanilla cremeux, and clear lemon glaze.



{Patterned Joconde-Décor Paste}

YIELD: Two ½ size sheet pans or a 13” x 18” (33 x 46 cm) jelly roll pan

{Ingredients}

14 tablespoons (200g) unsalted butter, softened

1½ cups plus1½ tablespoons  (200g) Confectioners' (icing) sugar

7 large egg whites - (~200g)

1¾ cup (220g) cake flour (I used all-purpose flour)

Food coloring gel, paste or liquid

{COCOA Décor Paste Variation} 

Reduce cake flour to 170g. Add 60 g cocoa powder. Sift the flour and cocoa powder together before adding to creamed mixture.

{Method}

  1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (use stand mixer with blade, hand held mixer, or by hand)
  2. Gradually add egg whites. Beat continuously.
  3. Fold in sifted flour.
  4. Tint batter with coloring to desired color, if not making cocoa variation.

 {NOTES}

The entremet tasted delicious! The mango flavor was predominant with hints of strawberry and white chocolate.  The tartness of the lemon glaze perfectly balanced the sweetness of the mousse and cremeux.  I will definitely be using this technique and trying other flavor combinations.  Thank you Astheroshe for the wonderful challenge!
 

5 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful I cannot stop staring - you have done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed at how "geometric" you made it! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me you do this for a living?!? This is beyond gorgeous!!! I am so jealous...but in a good way of course! LOL Mine was purely a disaster :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashlae, Renata, and Daintyapron ... thank you so much for your kind comments. I was jumping for joy when I sliced the entremet and the layers came out nice! I wish I did do this for a living, but I'm just a pastry-chef wanna-be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god how beautiful it is, but I dont know how to make each layer of this cake, If it is okay , Can yo show me the Ingridients of all the layer of this and show me how to combine all the layers to make this cake. Please !

    ReplyDelete